Several of the fairways wind alongside the golden sandy bays and rocky outcrops of the Firth foreshore. They come into play at the 2nd, 4th and at Hell's Hole - the notorious 5th, where you have to make a big decision: whether to carry the beach or take the easy way around.
Balcomie Links is one of the best-kept secrets in golf, the world's seventh-oldest golfing club, the favourite of a host of golfers, with a loyal and devoted following. Expect an unusual golf course, a seriously testing game, a roaring gale much of the time and plenty of terrifyingly tricky tees.
About Crail Balcomie Links, St Andrews – A short history
- The Crail golf club dates back to 1786
- The Balcomie course was designed by Old Tom Morris and dates back to 1895
- Morris was not content with a mere traditional links layout, harnessing the natural seaside landscape to create extra challenge and drama
- The Crail golfing society was the first to minute the use of hole cups
- Crail is listed in the Guinness Book of Records for staging a competition with the biggest number of different nationalities represented
- The World Junior Open took place there in 2000
- The clubhouse was extended and refurbished in 2009 and offers 270-degree sea views
Crail Balcomie Links Course Information
- Caddies: Available on request, subject to availability and must be booked in advance
- Golf Trollies: Trollies available, can be booked in advance
- Golf Buggies: Buggies available, can be booked in advance
- Practice Facilities: Driving range, two putting greens and short game area
- Dress Code: Appropriate golfing attire while on the course
Crail Balcomie Links Course Scorecard
Click here to view the scorecard
Featured hole – Hole 5
Hole number, AKA Hell's Hole, is a 450 yard par 4, a tricky dog leg right that bends in the middle, right where your tee shot ought to land. So far so good... but the sea gets in the way, and you need to hit over from the tee to get a decent score. If your tee goes too far right, you'll end up on the beach. Too far left and you'll lose your ball in the rough or land in a bunker. Hitting it down the middle is also fraught with risk, often seeing balls rolling way too far into the rough. Watch the wind, too. While the green is protected by hills on two sides, a flat flag is deceptive – above it, the wind is probably howling as usual.
Known for its particularly stunning setting
In an area where stunning golf courses are de rigeur, Crail Balcomie has the most beautiful front nine you'll find anywhere in Scotland. Every hole is played close to the sea, all with splendid sea views. In short, it's heavenly. And the golfing itself meets every expectation and more, truly exhilarating. You'll hit over streams and stone walls, over beaches, up and downhill, left and right, into and with the wind.
Crail Balcomie Links Golf vacations
The Experience St Andrews is the home of the very finest golfing packages, offering play and accommodation at every St Andrews course. If you’d like to play the Crail Balcomie course as part of your golf vacation, this can all be arranged for you, as all our programs can be tailored to meet your requirements. Crail Balcomie is an experience you'll never forget, and one of the true highlights of a golfing vacation in Scotland. Contact us to find out more.
Featured Crail - Balcomie Links Golf deals include:
Crail Balcomie Links course can be added or booked to replace The Castle Course, Carnoustie or Kingsbarns on one of our 6 night Programs. This deal includes guaranteed tee time at the Old Course, the Castle Course, as well as a number of other world-class courses. With luxury accommodation, clubhouse lunches and golf transfers included, you can really relax and enjoy the golf.