Golf history in the West Coast of Scotland
Scotland as a nation boasts more than 500 golf courses. The West Coast enjoys some of the finest, in part because of the amazing sand dunes, ideal for Links courses. During the 1400s King James played the game here, and Mary Queen of Scots apparently enjoyed a round just a few hours after her husband, Lord Darnley, was killed. Some say an early form of golf existed here in the 1200s, others say it was brought to bonnie Scotland by invaders. Whatever the truth is, the game we love – or something very similar - has probably been played in this amazing region for at least eight hundred years.
Golf courses on the West Coast
Choose from a collection of the world's finest, most challenging and beautiful courses.
1. Dundonald Links – 18 holes, 7100 yards, par 72, designed by Kyle Phillips
2. Gailes Links - 18 holes, 6903 yards, par 71, designed by Willie Park
3. Machrihanish Course - 18 holes, 6462 yards, par 70, designed by Old Tom Morris, redesigned by J. H. Taylor and Sir Guy Campbell
4. Machrihanish Dunes – 18 holes, 7082 yards, par 72, designed by David McLay Kidd
5. Prestwick Course - 18 holes, 6908 yards, par 71, designed by Tom Morris
6. Royal Troon Old Course - 18 holes, 6632 yards, par 71, designed by Willie Fernie
7. Royal Troon Portland - 18 holes, 6349 yards, par 72, designed by William Fernie, redesigned by Dr Alister MacKenzie
8. The Ailsa - 18 holes, 7217 yards, par 70, designed by Mackenzie Ross
9. Western Gailes - 18 holes, 7014 yards, par 71, designed by Mr F. Morris, redesigned by Fred Hawtree
10. King Robert The Bruce - 18 holes, 6921 yards, par 72, designed by Willie Fernie, redesigned by Donald Steele and Martin Ebert
Golf packages on the West Coast of Scotland
Our programme of golf on some of the country's best Championship courses includes play at Kingsbarns, New, Jubilee or Castle course, The Dukes course, plus of course a guaranteed tee time on the Old Course, St Andrews. After that, the South West is yours with play at Royal Troon Old Course, Prestwick and the Ailsa at Trump Turnberry. We're always delighted to customise this programme to meet your unique requirements, your preferred courses and desired accommodation, number of rounds and the number of nights you'll be with us.
Find out more or book Scotland golf tours
If you'd like to know more about our West Coast Scotland golf packages, feel free to contact us. Otherwise, you can make a direct booking online here.