The Duke’s was opened in 1995 and was designed to complement St Andrews’ famous links with its natural heathland setting. With five sets of tees at each hole, The Duke’s has the flexibility and challenge to appeal to golfers at every level.
From its elevated site, The Duke’s course and clubhouse both enjoy spectacular, panoramic views of the town and St Andrews Bay towards Carnoustie. The clubhouse is designed to the same luxurious standards as the five star Old Course Hotel Golf Resort & Spa and provides the best of Scottish hospitality.
About The Duke’s Course, St Andrews – A short history
- Built on the grounds of the Mount Melville Estate, originally owned by brewing giants, the Younger family
- Opened in July 1995
- The Prince played an inaugural round with the British Lions and Scottish Rugby team Captain Gavin Hastings, OBE
- Renovated and extended to include five brand new holes by Tim Liddy in 2006
- Today the Duke’s reflects the great heathland courses of the early 1920s perfectly
- Host of the 2014 International European Amateur Championship
The Duke’s Course Information
- Golf Trollies Available: Powered and manual trollies
- Golf Buggies Available: Buggies available all year round
- Practice Facilities: Driving range, putting green and short game area
- Handicap Requirement: The maximum handicap is 24 for men and 36 for ladies. Make sure you bring your handicap certificate to the first tee and present it to the Starter
Dukes Course scorecard
View The Dukes Course scorecard
Featured hole – Hole 2, Drumcarrow
The Duke's great inland golfing challenges include hole 2, Drumcarrow, with its essential strong tee shot at the left fairway bunker. If you're looking for the ideal approach this is your position from the tee, with its direct line to the green. Get it right and you will achieve either a nice, low running shot or a slightly higher approach shot, exactly what you need to avoid that nasty greenside bunker to your right.
Known for great flexibility and challenge
The Duke's is renowned worldwide for being one of the best heathland championship courses in Britain, an impressive accolade. It's no surprise - this is one of the most desirable courses for any dedicated golfer to get under their belt. The course's style matches all the finest inland challenges, and it demands a skilful combination of accuracy, imaginative play and power golf. Add five different tee positions at every hole and you can see how its legendary flexibility challenges golfers at every level. Enquire for more information >
The Duke’s Golf Breaks
At The Experience St Andrews, we provide some of the world's most popular golfing packages. They all come with fabulous play and luxurious accommodation and cover every St Andrews course, including the Duke’s. Come and create golfing memories you’ll cherish for a lifetime.