The older sections of the course were once described by the Editor of Golf Monthly as being "one of the best stands of bents and fescues in Scotland – the place in summer to put away the solid ball, leave the wedge in the locker room and hone your chip and run approaches because this is where the real game is played".
The course offers a fine variety of top quality links holes with rolling fairways, revetted bunkers, and big, true running greens that test even the best putters to their limits. If the wind is up, the 6,506 will feel a lot longer than a par 71!
About Leven Links, St Andrews – A short history
- The old Leven G.C. began playing on the site as early as 1846, originally with just 9 holes
- In 1868 the course was extended to 18 holes
- The 36 hole inaugural competition was played on Oct 2nd 1868, won by Young Tom Morris
- In 1909 the eastern section was extended
- 2003 saw more alterations to the bunkering, new tees and a small increase in length
Leven Links Course Information
- Caddies: Available, but need to be arranged at least 48 hours prior to play
- Golf Trollies: Limited pull trollies available, booking recommended
- Golf Buggies: Two buggies for anyone with a medical requirement
- Practice Facilities: Putting green and short game area
- Dress Code: Appropriate golfing attire while on the course and in the clubhouse
Leven Links Course Scorecard
Click here to view the scorecard
Featured hole – Hole 18
The 18th at Leven Links is one of golf's finest finishing holes. Take a straight drive along the right-hand edge of the starter building and you should hit the centre of the fairway, avoiding the nasty hidden pot bunkers to your left and dense gorse to the right. Now it's decision time – do you head for the biggest green on the course via the Scoonie Burn, a fearsome challenge, or do you harness your pitch and putt skills for a par four?
Known for the best stands and fescues in Scotland
Leven Links is best known for its local, national and international competitions. It hosted the local final qualifiers for The Open in 1978, 1984, 1990, 1995, 2000 and 2005. In April it's home to the prestigious Lindsay Shield. And the famous annual inter-club singles matchplay competition of 50 a side can be traced back more than 150 years.
Leven Links Links Golf Breaks
The Experience St Andrews is the home of the very finest golf vacations and packages, offering play and accommodation at every St Andrews course including Leven Links golf breaks. It's a truly magical experience that will be with you for the rest of your life. It’s genuinely a highlight if any golf break in Scotland. Contact us to find out more.
Featured Leven Links Golf deals include:
Leven Links golf course is not automatically included in our regular golf course break deals, but can be added or booked to replace the Castle, Carnoustie or Kingsbarns on one of our 6 night Programmes. For this you get guaranteed tee time at the Old Course, Leven Links, as well as a number of other world-class courses. With luxury accommodation, lunches and transfers included, you can really relax and enjoy the golf. With luxury accommodation, lunches and transfers included, you can really relax and enjoy the golf.