The Island Golf Club was founded in 1890 and remains a traditional private Members’ golf club. Featuring some of the most stunning dunes on Ireland's lovely east coast, it's one of the country's oldest courses and enjoys an excellent international reputation. The club currently hosts Regional Qualifying games for The Open Championship and is due to co-host strokeplay qualifying for the British Amateur Championship in 2019.
Surrounded by enormous looming dunes, many of the greens on this exceptional course are set in natural amphitheatres. The signature 13th hole is the star of the show - a long par three measuring more than 220 yards- helping to make this one of the finest Irish links golf courses you can play.
About The Island, Dublin golf club – Brief history
- Founded in 1890 – nobody is quite sure who first laid it out
- A classic links experience
- One of Ireland's oldest golf courses, one of the original 12 and the third oldest golf club in Dublin
- Once only accessible by boat
- Fred Hawtree, Eddie Hackett and Martin Hawtree have all made improvements to the original design
- Hosted the Irish Close Championships in 1998
- Hosted the Irish PGA Championship in 1999
- Voted 13th best in Ireland by Golf Digest Ireland in 2017, and ranked between number 10 and 14 in the years 2016, 15, 13 and 12
- Voted the 10th best Links/Shoreline Course in Ireland by Backspin magazine in 2012
- Voted 12th best in Ireland by Golf Digest Ireland in 2010
- Voted 10th best Links/Shoreline Course in Ireland by Backspin in 2010
- Voted 18th best course in Ireland by Golf Digest Ireland in 2009
- Voted 10th best Links/Shoreline Course in Ireland by Backspin in 2009
- Voted 19th best course in Ireland by Golf Digest Ireland in 2008
- Voted 10th best Links/Shoreline Course in Ireland by Backspin in 2008
- Features a beautiful new clubhouse
View The Island Scorecard
Click here to view the scorecard
Featured hole – Hole 13
The signature 13th hole, Broadmeadow, is the star of the show, a long par three measuring more than 220 yards. This is your chance to take on the beach. Or, you can take the chip and bailout option short of the green to the left instead, playing safe. This is an absolute classic of a short hole, and if you can manage to clear the great big grass bunker at the front of the green you might just achieve a birdie. Just remember there's out of bounds to your right.
Known for top class, no-frills links play
This course is best known for being relatively unknown and somewhat elusive. As one respected British golfing magazine quipped, it is “The best course in Ireland you have never heard of – play it and tell no-one!” And Bernard Darwin called it, “sporting in the best sense of the word”. Add to that The Island's famously spectacular flora, fauna and stunning natural setting and it's hard to beat.
The Island, Dublin golf club golfing vacations
Would you like to play The Island, Dublin for yourself? We have all the knowledge and expertise required to deliver superb golf vacations to enthusiasts like you, creating the perfect golf break experiences, all of which can be fully tailored to your whims. To secure you that elusive tee time slot at The Island, or find out more, please contact us.
Featured The Island, Dublin golf package:
Dublin 4 Nights 4* Programme: Our Ireland golf vacations offer the chance to experience some of the finest courses the country has to offer, and courses in this region have recently hosted the Ryder Cup, Walker Cup and Solheim. This package includes four top notch rounds of golf on famous courses, including Portmarnock and The Island herself. The 5* Merrion Hotel and 4* O’Callaghan Davenport Hotel will play host for the duration of your stay, providing a full Irish Breakfast daily, an evening meal on one night of your stay, and sumptuous accommodation to ensure you’re well rested. An Airport meet-and-greet service and full transfers to your hotel and between the golf courses ensures everything is taken care of. As a bonus. you’ll be close to Ireland’s capital city – perfect for seeing the sights while you’re there. Discover more >